[EN] [en] Let's talk english around movies

Orange is the New Black I'm almost updated, but it starts to bore me...

Did you watch all of them Panda ? I am looking for something nice, funny, light and sweet...
(even if Making a Murderer seems really cool)

Sherlock is really great. British series are often very short. Don't know why.

As far as I'm concerned, "How to get away with murder" is pretty cool, but I don't know if it's available on Netflix France.

Marcelina":2qsyb8pc a dit:
Did you watch all of them Panda ?

Yup. You may try Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt or Bojack Horseman, they are both funny

yapuka":2qsyb8pc a dit:
As far as I'm concerned, "How to get away with murder" is pretty cool, but I don't know if it's available on Netflix France.

No it's not.

Panda":3qiupwkv a dit:
Marcelina":3qiupwkv a dit:
Did you watch all of them Panda ?

Yup. You may try Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt or Bojack Horseman, they are both funny

I found Bojack Horseman depressing and funny.

My true problem with films is that almost every good films are sad, depressing or meaningful.
I need/want films (and TV series) who are not like that...

Korbak":3pdddq5x a dit:
I am watching again both seasons 2 and 3 of Sherlock these days, because that show is awesome

Hi, I have just found this thread, and it is a bit unreal to see you all writing about movies in English. I have picked up on Korbak's appreciation of Sherlock because I am a long-standing Holmes fan
(I have been watching versions made since the 1950s onwards) and I have really enjoyed the Benedict Cumberpatch and Martin Freeman duo. The mixing of today's London setting with the original storyline is excellent, and when I saw the one historic version episode in the New Year, it was very strange to see them in period costume and whiskers!

I have missed most of the other things you discuss because I do not use Netflix or other online feeds, I just see English language films on French TNT channels or direct from the BBC and ITV satellite feeds.
I'll keep an eye on the thread and contribute when it seems appropriate. (No,I will not offer you any corrections,unless you ask for them. I know my French improved a lot by not having corrections offered!)
I hope you don't mind me "listening in"...

Taitino":1lm9l34p a dit:
(No,I will not offer you any corrections,unless you ask for them. I know my French improved a lot by not having corrections offered!)
Damn ! I was hoping you could. 0:)

Yep it's true ! I've read somewhere that you're originally from Scotland !! Where about ? I've live one year in the exciting city of Glasgow and that was probably one of the best moment I spent in my life... The whole country is amazing and I wish I could live there again...

For Sherlock, I'm about to finish the first season, and yes, it's super great! I also love the duo Sherlock/Watson. Martin Freeman is really excellent. And that's very clever to have settled the story nowadays, it's well done !

About the fact that the british series are short, I noticed that with the BBC's Pride and Prejudice (with Colin Firth) but I thought that it was only with this one... and actually it's a good idea because you can have the advantages of a movie and a TV show without the inconveniences.

Yapuka, Ok I will but there is nothing so far, I think your English is fine.
Marcelina, I am pleased you like Scotland: if I had the freedom, I'd split my time between France, Scotland and Sweden, to get the best weather in each!

Interesting that some of you comment on short british series. Some certainly are, but a few are very long (BBC are now doing a new production of War and Peace by Tolstoy, which lasts ages each Sunday evening, we prepare drinks and snacks to keep us going!). I have noticed the french television have a regular habit of stringing together episodes of american or british series to make a whole evening's viewing, but often screen the episodes out of order. Curious.
I have decided to compensate for having an easy time in this thread, by doing a review in French of the film I saw last night, Warhorse by Spielberg, on the media part of the forum. That way, I am also making an effort in my second language.

Scotland seem nice. I'd like to go and have a journey there.
A friend of mine lived in Scotland for a few months and enjoyed it, except the driving : she always turned right at a roundabout (dangerous habits of driving, isn't it ?). I regret I didn't go "au pair" when I was young.

Taitino":1tj0kvfc a dit:
Interesting that some of you comment on short british series. Some certainly are, but a few are very long .
Like Dr Who ! 25 years if I remember properly.
I noticed short series were basically british, but French TV is not known for scheduling (for or to ?) foreign shows but american or british, maybe other countries make some short ones.
The first short serie I watched was "Jekyll", in 2007, 1 season, 6 episodes. I really enjoyed it. I'd watch it again with pleasure.

By the way, thank you. And if you need us to correct some (really small) mistakes in your French, try and ask. :)
Taitino":1tj0kvfc a dit:
Yapuka, Ok I will but there is nothing so far, I think your English is fine.

Doctor Who ran from 1963 to 1989, then there was a movie in 1996 and then it restarted in 2005. The original series lasted for 26 years and now it's been 10 years for the revival already. :)

I love Doctor Who. I met the Seventh Doctor a couple of years ago, he was quite charming. I really enjoy British TV show like Spaced or Black Books. Ok they are old but still great. I'm waiting for the end of War and Peace to watch all six episodes in a row.

There are too many good tv shows and not enough time to see them all

Panda":krekbedu a dit:
yapuka":krekbedu a dit:

No it's not.

Oh I just realise that there is this website : https://www.smartflix.io/ (don't know if I can publish it here or not, you can modify if you will). With that, you can access the WHOLE Netflix catalog.... If you're from France and you want to see a movie that is on the Canadian Netflix, the site (or the app that you install with the site) will trick and generate an IP adress making believe to Netflix that you are from Canada. Or something like this. Not even sure to be able to tell it clearly in French, so I guess that in English it's even worse.

TAITINO : Sweden must be cool as well. Never been there but I enjoyed Norway a lot ! :) Og jeg snakker litt norsk også. Snakker du svensk ?

Marcelina":1tl64law a dit:
Oh I just realise that there is this website : https://www.smartflix.io/ (don't know if I can publish it here or not, you can modify if you will). With that, you can access the WHOLE Netflix catalog....
We use that kind of site that's how we can watch american and british shows in english with subtitles in english First, I used to watch movies or series in english with french subtiltles, then with english subtitles and now... OK I always watch with subtitles but I can understand most of a movie without reading, 75 % I'd say. It's not possible with Netflix France. Aaah French people ! so proud of their glorious tongue (says the woman which is kind of a grammar nazi ! 0:) )

What do you mean? ON Netflix France you can watch a movie in the native language, with or without subtitles. I always do that! :)
Hehehe!

I need english subtitles. It's not available on Netflix France : no subtitles or french subtitles.

No no no really. I have Netflix France and I watch movies in English with English subtitles. Either your settings are different (I doubt it) either it's not possible on every movie but I would be surprised if it was the case... I am currently watching ARROW (any opinion on this show?) In English with English subtitles. I swear ! :D

Arrow, The Flash, Legends of Tomorrow, the three shows are situated in the same universe and I must admit that I really like them. I was kind of sceptical at first, but it was three good surprises.

Marcelina":1wbxj4he a dit:
TAITINO : Sweden must be cool as well. Never been there but I enjoyed Norway a lot ! :) Og jeg snakker litt norsk også. Snakker du svensk ?

Jag tale och läsa i svensk ochså liten dansk men inte norsk. Sverige ar härlig, särsjilt i Skane (min familj är av Lund I Malmö).

I went with my parents to Oslo and Bergen when I was 5 but have not been since, I have been to Sweden three times and worked briefly in Stockholm.
I stayed a few seeks in Malmö with my cousin a few years back, and we saw a good bit of Kobenhavn because the Oresund bridge is so close.
Have you see any of the Danish/Swedish thriller The Bridge yet?
Or the Wallander series? I am reading a Wallander book in Swedish at the moment, and I have read Jo Nesbo's Snowman (but only in English).

Fun! By reading the beginning of your message I was thinking about Broen. Of course I saw it! But I don't manage to find the second season which is quite frustrating because I loved the first!
I also loooooved The Killing. And there are also the lighter Rita and Hjørdis. Danish series are juste awesome!

Norway is great! I stayed there a week in a folkeskole (don't remember the writing) in Trondheim. A very good friend of mine was learning there how to build a Viking skip with traditional tools and materials. I learnt how to forge, carve the wood and sow nice linen stuffs. Awesome.

The second season of Bron/Broen was on British TV recently so it should soon be available on French TV.
Yes, I saw the Killing (both series), but I've missed Rita and Hjordis .
How do you get the o crossed through on your keyboard? I am using a QWERTY UK keyboard, so have to create German and Scandinavian accented vowels with the Alt and ASCII code; that o is missing...
It is good to know that a friend on this forum knows how to help build a Viking ship, I'm glad you enjoyed the experience!
I am looking forward to the Icelandic series Trapped which starts on A2 next Monday evening.

Retour